Azelaic Acid, an unpopular yet effective acne-healing ingredient
Have you ever had a pimple breakout? Those puffy red spots all over your face take away your confidence and self-esteem. But worry not! Benzoyl peroxide, salicylic acid, and azelaic acid are popular ingredients you can use. These ingredients help in controlling acne outbreaks.
What is Azelaic Acid?
Azelaic acid is a naturally occurring acid that can be found in wheat, rye, and barley. It is a dicarboxylic acid. It is one of the ingredients used to treat acne. It can also be combined with other ingredients because of its mild nature.
You might not have heard about it because it is not that popular or prescribed by many, but it is a scientifically proven and known treatment for acne.
Owing to its natural origins, Azelaic Acid has many benefits. Some common benefits of Azelaic Acid include:
- Anti-inflammatory and antibacterial properties. This means that it can reduce inflammation and kill off acne-causing bacteria. No more red, pus-filled bumps!
- Decreased production of melanin, which is the pigment responsible for hyperpigmentation.
- It is milder acid, which means it is less likely to cause a reaction.
- It can soothe sensitive skin because of its anti-inflammatory nature. Bye-bye itchy, red skin!
- It breaks down keratin, which is a protein that can clog pores. Thus it acts as a preventative measure against blackheads and whiteheads.
- It is safe to use during pregnancy. (Note: Don’t take our word for it. Consult with a doctor if you’re worried about using Azelaic Acid during pregnancy.)
Azelaic acid, with all its benefits, is a nature-powered ingredient. The question is, what can you use it for?
What can you use Azelaic Acid for?
Azelaic acid can be used in the treatment of:
- Acne — Acne is a skin disease where small to big red pimples break out on your skin. These pimples are usually infected with bacteria. As Azelaic acid has antimicrobial properties, it kills off the bacteria that cause acne.
- Rosacea — Rosacea is a skin disease where your body goes into override and the blood vessels of your face pump. This causes redness. Small bumps appear in patches on your skin because of inflammation. Azelaic acid with its anti-inflammatory properties acts as a good treatment for Rosacea.
- Hyperpigmentation — Hyperpigmentation is when a patch of your skin becomes dark in color in comparison to the skin around it. Melanin is a pigment responsible for the darkening of your skin. Azelaic acid controls and decreases the production of melanin.
- Dark skin — Azelaic acid has melanin blocking capacity, which means that it can prevent the skin from getting darker.
Great. Azelaic acid can be used for a variety of skin issues, but Azelaic acid is an ‘acid’ after all. Is it safe to use?
Is Azelaic Acid safe to use?
Yes! It is a safe-to-use, FDA-approved ingredient at concentrations below 20%. Like every other skincare ingredient out there, it does have side effects.
Mild side effects of using Azelaic acid are slight redness, itching, burning, or hyperpigmentation. More rare but severe side effects of using Azelaic acid include swelling, difficulty breathing, hives, and rashes. Stop using it if you get any of the severe side effects.
Here are some pointers on how to use Azelaic Acid safely:
- Never use it on the skin under the eyes or your mouth area, as your skin is thinner in these parts and gets easily irritated.
- People with sensitive skin should take caution while using Azelaic Acid. It may cause hyperpigmentation, redness, or stinging on your face.
- Before including Azelaic Acid in your skincare routine, please do a patch test to find out if it suits your skin. It’s always a better idea to do a patch test with single-use That way your money does not go to waste.
Now, you may be wondering about what form Azelaic Acid comes in (as it is an ingredient)? Azelaic acid comes in the form of creams, gels, and is an active ingredient in skincare products. The kind of product you use depends on your situation.
Which Azelaic Acid products should I use?
Azelaic Acid can be used as a topical treatment, which comes in the form of creams and gels. Use the topical form to treat acne, rosacea, dark spots, and hyperpigmentation.
It is also an active ingredient in serums and moisturizers. Include these products in your skincare routine for smoother, hydrated, and calmer skin.
What do the experts say?
Experts at SkinQ agree with the effectiveness of Azelaic Acid. That’s why Dermatologist-Formulated DIY Acne Facial Kit contains Azelaic Acid as an active ingredient. It also contains other actives such as Hyaluronic Acid, Retinol, and Vitamin C. It is a derma-formulated acne control kit that provides everything you need for brighter, smoother, and acne-free skin.
Begin your journey towards acne-free skin with SkinQ’s range of products, formulated especially for Indian Oily & Acne Prone Skin!