Being the largest organ when it comes to the human body, your skin enables the experience of various sensations from your surroundings. It regulates the temperature of the body. And in this process, skin is also exposed to the environment, including harmful microbes, pollution, and ultraviolet (UV) rays emitted by the sun. Needless to mention, it is also prone to various conditions including acne, inflammation, rashes, and even cancer. Ageing skin leads to the formation of wrinkles. But all of these factors depend on how one takes care of their skin.
When it comes to skincare, the most essential part is keeping your skin hydrated i.e. using moisturizers. Moisturizers have the capability to help protect your skin in many ways. Are you wondering how they do so?
How Moisturizers Work
Skin is made up of three different layers:
- Epidermis - It is the outermost layer of the skin. It is what you can see, touch, feel, etc. The epidermis is the front-line defense when it comes to battling germs and microbes to keep them from entering your body. Other functions of the epidermis include the creation of new skin cells. The epidermis is also home to the pigment known as melanin that defines your complexion.
- Dermis - The middle layer of the skin. This part functions on a high level as it contains some of the essential elements of skin, such as hair follicles, nerve receptors, oil glands, sweat glands, collagen, blood vessels, and elastin.
- Hypodermis - It sits at the bottom of the skin. The hypodermis regulates the body temperature and connects the skin to bones and muscles.
Moisture that is delivered to the middle layer of the skin by blood vessels travels outwards towards the epidermis with the help of the dermis. However, it evaporates as it reaches the outermost layer due to environmental factors, such as dry air, high temperature, or heat. This can lead to dry or flaky skin, and sometimes even create cracks in it - which often leads to various skin conditions like infection and acne or inflammation. This is where the moisturizers come into play.
Moisturizers function in two different methods; they either lock the water that travels upwards from the dermis or attracts more water towards the epidermis. With the harnessing and protection of the active ingredients, the skin gets all the moisture it needs and becomes smoother and softer.
Some ingredients are known to dry out skin and to use skin care products with such ingredients can only result in more harm. Here are a few ingredients that you should avoid in a moisturizer:
- Salicylic Acid - Salicylic acid is one of the best ingredients for acne-prone skin as it controls excessive natural oil production. But using salicylic acid for dry skin can lead to more dryness.
- Benzoyl Peroxide - Similar to salicylic acid, benzoyl peroxide is best used for acne-prone skin but using skin care products with this ingredient can result in itching, peeling and irritation of the dry skin.
- Retinoids - Retinoids are a type of Vitamin A that speeds up the process of skin cell turnover. People with dry and sensitive skin may experience dryness, skin irritation and inflammation, peeling and flaking of skin when using retinoids. Though it is possible for people with dry and sensitive skin to use retinoids, it is always recommended to consult your dermatologist before trying it out.
Ingredients to look out for:
- Hyaluronic Acid - For people with dry skin, hyaluronic acid is the most essential ingredient to look for in a moisturizer. It helps to hydrate the skin by drawing in moisture from outside as well as from the second layer of the skin to the epidermis (surface layer of the skin). It is also known to fade fine lines and wrinkles and may prevent premature aging.
- Sodium Hyaluronate: A derivative of hyaluronic acid, sodium hyaluronate is a hydrating ingredient that helps promote skin moisture. It also calms inflammation of the skin, fades the appearance of wrinkles and promotes cell turnover thus helping in the recovery of wounds.
- Shea Butter - It is a natural emollient that creates a gentle and consistent shield on your skin that traps the moisture of the skin inside. It is one of those active ingredients that slow down the aging of the skin and protects it from inflammation.
- Vitamin E - Vitamin E protects the skin from the molecular damage caused by sunlight and enhances the collagen production in the skin which makes your skin firm and resilient.
- Ceramides - A ceramide moisturizer is an effective component for dry and sensitive skin. A face moisturizer for dry skin actively reinforces the barriers of the skin, prevents Transepidermal Water Loss (TEWL), and reduces wrinkles and fine lines which results in a healthy, smoother, firmer, and resilient skin.
The Moisturizer You Need if You Have Dry Skin
Moisturizerizing your skin is the most essential part of active skincare. The phrase ‘top of the morning’ should actually work as a reminder to moisturize your skin as the topmost priority in the morning. All kinds of skin types (including dry, oily, normal, combination, etc.) need moisturizing from time to time. If you want to keep your skin healthy, soft, and smooth, then moisturize it every day. But since everybody has a different skin type that reacts differently to various products and with so many products available on the market, it is necessary to choose the right one that suits your skin. Moisturizer cream for dry skin, should protect your skin, as well as repair and nourishes it.
SkinQ’s Moisturizer Balm is the best face moisturizer for dry skin as it contains active ingredients like hyaluronic acid, shea butter, ceramides, vitamin E, and sodium hyaluronate and is also a non-comedogenic moisturizer. It reduces dryness and dehydration, repairs skin barrier and also reduces skin sensitivity. SkinQ’s Moisturizer Balm is clinically proven and helps in achieving nourished, healthy-looking, glowing skin.
Though there are several face moisturizers sold as suitable face moisturizer for men and women, the structure of men’s skin is different than that of women’s. With limited options available for men, they have no other option than to use a moisturizer that was made for women, in this case, a face moisturizer for women.
But SkinQ’s Moisturizer Balm was created keeping the needs of men and women in mind, and it is thus, the perfect moisturizer for both.
Using moisturizer cream for face or any skin type for that matter is absolutely essential when it comes to skincare. Face moisturizer protects your skin from various types of damage and slow down the aging of the skin. So, make sure, you keep your face and skin moisturized, hydrated, and healthy every day.